- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a deep pot; saute onion, celery, and parsley until slightly tender, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Brown ground beef.
- Add broth, ground beef, and hash browns to the pot. Cover and simmer on medium heat until hash browns are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small skillet and add flour until it turns to a thick paste.
- Add 1/2 the milk at a time, whisking until combined. Cook over medium heat until it thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/2 the flour mixture at a time to the pot; mix well.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese.
- Original Recipe: A Pinch of Joy's Superhero Cheeseburger Soup.